If you like meeting people and like driving you can combine the two as a Volunteer Car Driver.
Simply by using your own car, you can help local people get to their health care appointments and make a huge difference to their lives.
Fareham Voluntary Car scheme has been operating for 9 years, helping older and disabled people who live in Fareham town and Titchfield village who lack their own transport or struggle to get about on public transport.
Some trips are to local services (GPs, eye tests, physio etc.) some to hospital in Portsmouth, Southampton, Winchester, Chichester. You choose how far you are willing to drive.
Some appointments are short, some longer. You choose which trips you have time for.
Some passengers use walking aids, some bring a folding wheelchair. You choose which passengers you can take.
Our drivers are part of a pool of registered volunteers who offer their help and time on a flexible basis.
We support you with:
- Payment of out of pocket expenses at a mileage rate of 45p
- Full induction and on-going support
- Free of charge enhanced DBS check (fully portable)
- Access to Training
- Sociable get-togethers
Volunteer Driving does not affect your vehicle insurance.
We ask you to have:
- Your own car with current MOT (if applicable) and insurance - any car, from Smart to MPV.
- A full, clean driving licence held for at least 2 years and the confidence to navigate your way around.
- A friendly approach to put people at their ease.
- Patience and consideration for others who may take time to get about.
- Some spare time during the week (including occasional Saturdays - optional)
Volunteer when it suits you and see the difference you can make.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
We will apply for you free of charge. This valuable document will be yours to keep and use as you wish.
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
45p per mile travelled
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
Office support, training and social get-togethers
- Training provided
Access to appropriate in-house training courses e.g. Emergency Response, Safeguarding, HCC Trigger Tool, dementia awareness, health and safety.
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
your own car insurance covers you as a volunteer driver. If you take part in any other activities for Community First (promotional events etc.), you are covered by our Employer's liability insurance.
- Written role description
You will be issued with a handbook of guidance notes on the role.
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 05/06/2018
End Date: 31/03/2020
Once you are part of the driver team you will be made aware each week of the trips requested. You can choose on a week by week basis when you volunteer to take passengers. It's as easy as that.
More Opportunities from Community First
Winchester Live At Home Scheme
Age Concern - Hampshire
Communication Support - The Stroke Association