The purpose of this exciting shared project is:
- To connect people with great literature and each other, through a quality Shared Reading experience which seeks to enrich lives
- Improve wellbeing
- Build community
- Reduce social isolation
- You will be responsible for delivering a Shared Reading session on a weekly basis in a group of 6-12 adults. Group sessions will last for up to 1.5-2 hours. Activities will include:
- Choosing and preparing texts in advance of each reading session.
- Creating a safe and welcoming environment.
- Leading shared reading sessions.
- Sharing welcome packs with new readers.
- Maintaining records about each reading session.
- Collecting monitoring and evaluating data from group members as required- this project sits within an exciting national research campaign and the evaluation of volunteers and group memebers will be a key element of the work. Full training will be given.
- Reliability and flexibility
- Good organisational, time management and interpersonal skills
- Patience with those who are unable to communicate clearly and/or less confident.
- Able to ask for help when needed.
- Have a warm, calm and friendly manner that reflects the readers ethos and values.
- Feedback to The Reader staff/your Shared Reading Organiser/Community Champion if you have particular concerns or difficulties
- Ability to remain resilient and show compassion to members of the community
- Have a responsible approach to health and safety
Some limited access as building is listed
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 04/12/2018
End Date: 23/04/2019
The Allen Gallery
2 Church Street
More Opportunities from Hampshire Cultural Trust Allen Gallery & Curtis Museum
Hampshire Cultural Trust Allen Gallery & Curtis Museum
Royal British Legion
Havant Pastoral Centre
Y Services for Young People
Havant Borough Talking Newspaper