Could you help support a parent in a meeting with educational professionals? Or can you see yourself visiting a parent at home to help them to write their views about their child's special educational needs? Your role as an Independent Parental Supporter would help the parent to put across their views, help take notes to remind them of what was said and really help the parent to feel confident that their child is getting appropriate support.
Parents really appreciate the support an IPS gives. This is an interesting and rewarding role and you can choose to do as little or as much as you would like.
• help parents understand paperwork or verbal advice from their child’s school or the local authority relating to their child’s education
• listen to parents and encourage them to be confident in expressing their views
• help parents to express their views in writing, seek clarification or request updates on progress
• support parents at meetings with schools or the local authority
• signpost to other organisations when information, advice and support is required about matters other than educational issues
• strong verbal communication skills
• the ability to provide information in an impartial way
• the ability to listen and reflect back
• effective writing skills
• the ability to feel at ease with and relate to a wide range of people
• tact/diplomacy and respect for confidentiality
• trustworthy and reliable
• the ability to be objective, rational and have a balanced view on issues
• the ability to help parents consider their interpretation of situations, if and when appropriate
• easily contactable, with enough free time to devote to the work
• the ability to see things through
• no potential conflict of interest
• own transport
Previous experience of special educational needs is not required. A background in education, health or social care is useful, but a willingness to learn and an interest in SEND is essential.
Full and ongoing training will be provided plus regular supervision sessions and meetings with Hampshire SENDIASS staff and other volunteers.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 13/02/2018
End Date: 13/02/2019
Own computer required or secure access to one Own vehicle or access to a vehicle
This opportunity is available Countywide.
Sue Ryder Havant
Hampshire and Isle of Wight Community Rehabilitation Company
FirstBite Community Food Project CIC